Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Family Trip To Borneo Highland

It's been a while since I've wanted to go to Borneo Highland with my family. And now that I'm working in Kota Samarahan, it's just an hour or two away. Which would mean that I can go there whenever my budget permits. And since this month, my budget did permit it and also my wife was on holiday, we were on our way to Borneo Highland.

A family trip portrait.

Before we started our journey on that morning, we had our breakfast at Uncle Apek's noodle restaurant. It's a family favorite noodle place since it's owned by my wife's uncle. I had my usual Kolomee Special, while everyone else had their own choices of different noodles.

Kolomee Special. Yum... 

And after the yummy breakfast, it was time to go to Borneo Highland. It was roughly and hour and fourty minutes from our place to Borneo Highland's gates where we can buy tickets and use their bus-trucks to reach the peak. You can use your own cars, BUT, it's at your own risk. And trust me, I wouldn't risk it at all. Not our precious car.


This road was steep. And this area was not the steepest.

Riding on the Bus-Truck was not as comfortable as we'd expected, but it got the job done. Even Momo was sweating all the way to the top due to the non air-conditioning, but she was ok about it. Even wanted us to put her down so she can walk around, but obviously that's not happening since the ride was really dangerous and she's not complete balanced with her walk yet. But, she was a little trooper, so, she sat quietly with mummy and papa.

I didn't notice that the guy behind us was playing with Momo. A million Thanks to the guy. He helped us quite a lot during the trip. And we didn't even know him. Thank You.

With Aunty Bibiey and Uncle Paul.

Upon reaching the top, we got down the Bus Truck and was told to get on another bus to go further up the top. While waiting for the driver, Momo got down and wanted to go for a walk and explore her new surroundings. 

Exploring time while papa takes pictures.

After the bus driver arrived, we got on as he explained about our trip and where we'll be heading. First off is the tea house and the garden. Reaching there, I saw a few photographers taking pictures of a married couple. That somehow gave me an idea of where I'll be taking my next wedding job for their outdoor portrait shoot. And before the tea house, it was group photo time.

Family photo before the tea house.

A lovely lake outside the Tea House. Beautiful settings for an outdoor shoot.

At the tea house, there was supposed to be a tea ceremony demonstration, but when we reached there, there was nothing much happening. But there was this guy who was playing a Chinese instrument that really got me. His was really awesome with that instrument and really have to credit him. Love the music he plays. And always a great thing for me to see someone who can read musical scores. A musician myself, I was more self taught, so, I never learned much about musical scores. I played my instruments based on what I like while playing random chords.

Amazing music by a great musician.

One of the instruments they had around.

After going around the Tea House, decided to go out and take a few shots of Momo, Mummy, Bibiey and Paul around the garden before we went off to our next pit stop.

Momo in available light.

With the Peacock. Momo couldn't get her hands off the peacock.

Momo with Mummy at the doorway.

After leaving the Tea House, we boarded the same bus to go to our next destination which would be the peak of Borneo Highland and also the border between Sarawak and Kalimantan. First off, I'd have to say that the view from up top is absolutely breathtaking. It was absolutely a landscape photographer's dream come true to shoot the scenery from the peak.

Beautiful isn't it?

And since we're at the top of Borneo Highland, a family portrait was a must. And another must was that I had to be included in the shot. So, it was time for my trusty tripod to do it's work. And after a few failed attempt of jump shots at the Tea House Garden, we did another one at the peak as well. Thank God it worked.

The Family Portrait

The Perfected Jump Shot!

Mummy and Papa posed while Momo took the picture. :D Just Kidding. Taken by Paul or was it Bibiey.

While we were at the peak, I decided to take a few couple shots of Bibiey and Paul. The grassy area of the peak was absolutely beautiful and simple. As Chase Jarvis says, "Less Is More". And only after taking all these shots I noticed that they were having a hard time keeping their eyes open while looking at me since I was standing on a step ladder while taking their picture. Anyways, it WAS a random photoshoot anyway.

Bibiey reading her juju before we started. :P




Then we went up a small hill where my in-laws were waiting for us kids to finish our shooting so we would go up and join them for a picture. After a few group shots, my father in-law showed us a small peak behind us that was covered by clouds that was really pretty to be used as a backdrop. So, got mummy and momo to pose with the peak as the background.
The clouds were moving too fast. Can't see much of the peak.

After this shot, I decided to do something "Fun" aka "Stupid". I wanted to push momo's stroller down the hill and let it roll and see how far and fast it can go. That went well, only problem was, the grass in that area was really slippery, and I was wearing only slippers. I fell like a rotten durian on the ground. Embarrassing moment much? Good thing everyone else was already at the waiting area and wasn't watching. Thank God.

A picture right before the eventful happened

At the waiting area

After a few laugh over the incident, we were on our way to the Floral Nursery where the flowers are. It was the place that I really wanted to go to and do some floral close-up shoot. Love the flowers and all their colors and all the varieties.





These two cactuses were placed facing each other. Wonder what's their story

Over all, I'd have to say that it was an eventful day for us all. My goal has finally been reached that was to go to Borneo Highland and get as much picture as I can. Mummy and Momo had a great time and so did the rest. Will go up there again another time but not too soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment