Thursday, August 12, 2010

Kuching Waterfront Family Outing

It's been a while since I've been out with my family to places outside of the Kampung. So, last sunday, my wife, daughter and I went out for a family lunch. I had a plan to go to the Kuching Waterfront for a Sunday walk, but haven't informed my wife, but I just brought my camera along with me just instead I do decide to inform her and go to the waterfront.

"When we're going out, papa?"

And since the next day I'm going to have my first final exam paper, I needed the rest and relaxation and to just spend time with my family. During lunch, we found out that my sister in law, her fiancĂ©e, my mother in law and my niece was also in town having their lunch after church, so at that time, I decided to info my wife about my plan and sugested to her that we can ask my sister in law (Bb) and company to join us at the Waterfront. And she agreed. So, after our lunch, the trip began!

The family arrival at the waterfront

A fast rear view shot

The Waterfront has been the place where tourists love to come to during vacations. And as someone who was born and raised in Kuching, I've only been there a handful of times. Don't know why. Maybe because since it's a place where everyone else goes to hang out, so, going there sometimes would mean that I'd have to go through crowds. Honestly not a fan of big crowds. Unless I'm there to take pictures of events or to do a bit of Street shoots. 


As usual, the waterfront was full of tourist and people, especially teens. And there were also some other families that were there for a walk around. And since this was just a general outing with my family, the shots I wanted to take were mostly of my family. Since it's been a while that I've gone out to shoot anything other than our bedroom and my office desk, this was a nice change of pace and a great time to add more pictures of my family in my collection.

Momo and Awen


My Beautiful Wife and Daughter

Momo with Uncle Paul

Momo with Awen again :D

Momo with Uncle Paul & Aunty Bb

While walking around, we came across a building that I've always thought was an abandoned building that had nothing inside it. And when I asked Bb about what was that place, she told me that it was the Kuching Chinese Museum. I was surprised and somehow excited. So, we decided to go and have a look at the museum since non of us other than Bb had been to the museum before. 

On the way to the museum, we came across some people that had opened a booth that sells some cultural items and jewelry. It was nice to see that some people are still practicing traditional jewelry making.

 
She was making the jewelry with beads.

Some of the items for sale.

Then it was off to the museum. And when I reached the front door of the museum, I saw a sticker on the glass door that photography is not allowed and only with permission. So, I decided to stay outside and take pictures of the waterfront instead. I was a little disappointed, but the, curator asked me to come in. So, as I went in, I asked him if it was ok if I took some pictures, and he said it was ok, and I was overjoyed! So, in I went, trigger happy with my camera.


A Dragon Figurine

The curator said tat this is where 
the Chinese come to pray and wish
for health and wealth.

Not sure what this is. But seems to be
a place to pray as well.

Then I came across my favorite things,
Musical instruments! This Cello-alike was the coolest,
due to the Chinese words engraved on the side.

 
This one just seem so cool. Not sure what it's called though.

This somehow is a Sitar/Guitar, with 4 strings.

This was too awesome to miss out on.
Imagine each of those strings are made out of 4 individual strings.
wonder how it sounds.

Wont it be cool to have a guitar with a
Chinese art dragon engraved on the side?

I consider this as the Bass guitar due to the 4 strings. :D

And lastly, something I've always wanted to see and have.
A Gramophone!

After a quick tour around the museum, we went out and decided to take some more family pictures.







And while we were at the Waterfront, I took the chance to take pictures of the scenery as well. good thing the lighting was not that bad at that time since it was noon.

D.U.N.





After nearly two hours at the waterfront and the museum, Momo was starting to get cranky and sleepy. We were all starting to feel tired as well, but having a great day out, everyone was happy. And with that, my wife and I decided to do this activity more frequently. So, this Sunday, it'll be a different place. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment